Saturday, 1 July 2017
For my 25th birthday, I thought I would post a fun little list of 25 facts about myself so you could get to know me a little better. If you want me to go into further detail about any of them in a future blog post, let me know in the comments!
1. I grew up in Kelowna, BC, aka Kelownafornia, aka the best place in the world.
2. I only did one semester of University.
2. If I could travel anywhere in the world it would be Scotland and Ireland.
3. My favorite food is potato chips with pizza as a close second.
4. I have Anxiety/Depression Disorder.
5. My husband is 2 years younger than me.
6. I can play the alto saxophone.
7. My first real job was at Wendy's.
8. I have Endometriosis.
9. My daughter's name, Henley, was partially inspired by a vision.
10. I used to live on a horse ranch and rode horses competitively.
11. My favorite musicians are John Mayer and Phil Wickham.
12. I have 8 biological siblings.
13. I taught myself to play guitar in Highschool.
14. I have been on missions trips to Kenya and Los Angeles.
15. I was in foster care from the age of 11-16.
16. I have moved more times than I am years old.
17. I gave my life to God on a beach in California.
18. I really want to be good at gardening, but alas, I am not.
19. I used to work as a door to door vacuum cleaner sales person.
20. I was born to a teen (14-year-old) mother.
21. I want 4 children, but I want to adopt two of them.
22. I eat pizza with a fork because I have a massive overbite.
23. A year and a half ago I became the worship leader at my church.
24. I truly enjoy cleaning and am considerably speedy at it.
25. I really don't like snow and consider myself to be solar powered.
That's it! Wow, that was harder than I expected. Hope you enjoyed!
Wednesday, 21 June 2017
This last weekend was a big one! My husband, Jordan, had his very last exam of his degree on Friday and he is officially done! It has been a long 4 years and it feels really good to finally have a husband who is not a student. On Saturday was Jordan's birthday, and on Sunday was his very first Father's Day as a dad! I knew this weekend was coming for a while and really wanted to make it special for him. But I also knew that we are in a tight financial spot so I had to be creative. Here's what I did!
On Friday I booked a babysitter for the evening and planned to meet Jordan at the University when he finished his exam. Then we would head to Famoso for dinner (courtesy of a gift card from a lovely friend)! I bought a bottle of sparkling cider and grabbed two wine glasses and planned to surprise him with a toast in celebration when he came out of his exam.
Unfortunately, he was done his exam early and I didn't get out of the house before he was finished. So I got him to meet me at the restaurant instead. It also starting pouring rain like crazy but I didn't let it discourage me. When Jordan pulled up to the restaurant I was standing in the rain with the bottle and glasses and we toasted in the rain! We then had a great time having dinner and dessert, Jordan opened his grad present, and we headed home to watch a movie before bed.
The next day, for Jordans birthday, I got up early and made a yummy breakfast. We ate together, Jordan opened his birthday gift, and then we packed a picnic lunch. I secretly packed an extra sandwich because we were going to pick up our friend Mitchell on our way to ELK ISLAND! Jordan didn't know we were bringing Mitchell so that was a surprise along the way. I had never been to Elk Island before so it was exciting. We drove out there and randomly found the Canada 150 chairs so, naturally, we had to do a photo shoot!
Next, we had a picnic lunch and a yummy birthday cake that Mitchell brought! Afterward, we went on a nice walk in the woods and it was great until the mosquitos drove us out. We saw so many Bison and just watched them for at least half an hour.
It was a great weekend and it was so fun to celebrate Jordan and spend so much time together! Stay tuned for an in-depth post about what Father's Day means to me!
Saturday, 10 June 2017
Today Henley turns two months old. As cliche as it sounds, I can't believe how fast time is flying and how quickly she is growing up. It truly feels surreal that two months has passed since that crazy weekend where I (and a team of highly trained medical professionals) brought her into this world. I feel like I have just met her and yet like I have known her my whole life.
My love for this girl keeps blowing my mind as it grows and grows.
Although some may argue that babies can't have a personality until they are a bit older, I completely disagree. This girl is a completely unique individual with a lot of personality traits to get to know already. Here are just a few things that Henley loves:
1. Change Table Time
She seriously hates having a wet diaper. Sometimes I forget how much she hates it and I will have no idea why she is so upset, but as soon as I start to carry her towards her nursery she will instantly cheer up. And then when I place her on her change table all is right with the world again.
I don't think babies know how to be vain so I think this one is just very normal for her developmental stage. Her baby swing has a mirror on the mobile hanging above it and her play-mat also has a mirror hanging for her to look into. She also has this book, which has a mirror on the front that she loves.
3. Butt Pats
Nothing calms this girl down more than butt pats and if she is tired this will send her right off to dreamland. We truly pat her to sleep every time she naps.
Henley will give me such a big smile and stare at me when I sing. I hold her during worship practice sometimes and she just loves it. Her dad and I also basically sing everything that we ever say to her. Something about babies brings out the inner musical star in all of us.
5. Mommy and Daddy
This one is probably very obvious but I think it deserves to be mentioned. Nothing makes her smile more than when her dad or I smile at her and talk to her in a happy voice. And nothing makes us smile more than her smiling at us. It's a perfect exchange.
As far as eating goes, Henley eats about 50/50 breast milk and formula. There are a lot of reasons why she eats this way but I will be writing a post all about that in the future so stay tuned.
We love this girl so much and we love watching her grow so much every day. Stay tuned to my blog for monthly updates as Henley Grows.